The Poetry Garden
Some writings of Pt. Jag Mahadeo
Swami Rama on 'Determination'
Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna Dates, Sponsors, and VenueGuru Purnima Vrata Yajna is an Annual event held by the Himalayan Tradition – a group of disciples of Guruji Swami Veda Bharati in the New York Metropolitan Area.
For more information call Behen Dero 631-464-8310
Our Gracious Sponsor for 2019 Yajna
Bhai Rohan Kanhoye - 172-20 89th Avenue, Jamaica, NY
Formerly known as Pandit Usharbudh Arya, Mahamandaleshwara Swami Veda Bharati is the Disciple of Swami Rama of the Himalayas and the Founder of the Association of Himalayan Yoga Meditation Societies International (AHYMSIN) and Swami Rama Sadhaka Grama (SRSG). His life was dedicated to teaching and facilitating positive change in the lives of others, in society and the entire world.
This Vrata Yajna is sponsored by volunteers at their homes each year. Anyone with a large enough yard space can request that the Yajna be performed at their home. The preparations of food and other responsibilities are shared by the Leaders and Coordinators of the Himalayan Tradition so that it does not become overwhelming for the sponsor. These selfless souls are acknowledged to the right of this article.
For many years Guruji Swami Veda has encouraged his disciples to continuously work on establishing discipline in their individual lives. With this idea in mind, he has always asked his disciples to look at the date of Guru Purnima and count back 40 days, and for these 40 days, he suggested that his disciples implement some change in their own lives to instill discipline in themselves. As we know, anything done continuously for 40 days becomes habit and this is what he encouraged us to do. He had put together a list of suggestions which anyone could follow – ideas when implemented becomes life-changing! Read Guruji’s list of Vrata suggestions here.
During this Vrata Yajna which is a Multi-Kunda Yajna, all attendees are encouraged to undertake a Vrata, (vow) - some form of ‘tapah’ – penance or sacrifice in their lives for approximately 35 to 40 days, and together we chant Vedic Mantras, make 108 ahutis (offering) of Gayatri Mantra, have discussions, speeches and lectures on discipline and the development of self, conclude with Shantih Paath and then enjoy the company of like-minded souls while sharing a delicious lunch.
Leaders & Coordinators of Annual Vrata Yajna
Behen Dero Mahadeo
Behen Lalita Bechan
Pt. Reshiram Sadhu
Behen Mintra Kanhoye Seegolam
Behen Dr. Sharla Khargi
Behen Vidya B Mahadeo
Bhai Some Tuphanilall
Behen Nellie Tuphanilall
Bhai Balram Rambrich
Our heartfelt thanks to these selfless and loving souls who contributed their time, money, effort and self to the cause of betterment of Self and Society.
We thank you for so freely giving of yourself!
Naakasya prishthe sam ishaa madema .... With your great effort, may you find Peace, Unity, Joy and Happiness.
|2013 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna - July 22nd||Pandit Jag Mahadeo & Behen Dero Mahadeo||128 Avenue B, Holbrook, NY, 11741|
|2014 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna - July 12th||Pandit Jag Mahadeo & Behen Dero Mahadeo||128 Avenue B, Holbrook, NY, 11741|
|2015 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna - June 20th||Mataji Bhojwatie Chandrica||127-12 133rd Avenue, Ozone Park, Queens, NY|
|2016 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna - July 19th||Pandit Jag Mahadeo & Behen Dero Mahadeo||128 Avenue B, Holbrook, NY, 11741|
|2017 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna - June 3rd||Mataji Bhojwatie Chandrica||127-12 133rd Avenue, Ozone Park, Queens, NY|
|2018 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna June 16th||Pandit Jag Mahadeo & Behen Dero Mahadeo||128 Avenue B, Holbrook, NY, 11741|
|2019 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna June 8th||Bhai Rohan Kanhoye||172-20 89th Avenue, Jamaica, NY|
|2020 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna - May 30th||Sponsor to be determined||Venue to be determined|
|2021 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna - June 19th||Sponsor to be determined||Venue to be determined|
|2022 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna -||Sponsor to be determined||Venue to be determined|
|2023 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna -||Sponsor to be determined||Venue to be determined|
|2024 Guru Purnima Vrata Yajna -||Sponsor to be determined||Venue to be determined|
Actual Guru Purnima Dates Below:
1. Maintain mindfulness and an attitude of self-examination throughout the day. Observe your thoughts and emotions asking oneself, “What transgressions did I commit?”
2. Where there was fearful or aggressive thoughts, words or actions ask, “What was it in me that evoked that response and reaction?”
3. Ask yourself “What right thing that should have done have I omitted?” and replacing such negativity with kindness and compassion.
4. For any thought critical of anyone, do 11 recitations of Gayatri Mantra.
5. Surrender your samskaras & random thoughts to the inner Guru.
Ideas of Vratas (Vows) to undertake
1. Do one to three malas of your personal mantra japa daily for the next 40 days
2. At opportune times in your day (at break time and lunch if you work, or about every 2 hours), sit for 2 minutes, observing the flow of breath in the nostrils and repeating your personal mantra.
3. Recite the Guru Brahma Prayer and the morning and evening prayers.
4. Resolve to enter into non-self-centered meditation.
5. Om Tat Sat Brahmarpanam Astu – dedicate prayers to the enlightenment and happiness of others.
6. Your last formal thought at night should be the Guru Brahma prayer and entry into meditative mode as you fall asleep. Your sleep will become a meditation.
7. Increasing one’s practice of meditation and japa.
8. Implementing an element of yoga, such as a particular Yama or Niyama. The Yamas are restraints which we can practice such as:
a. Ahimsa: Nonviolence
b. Satya: Truthfulness
c. Asteya: Non-stealing
d. Brahmacharya: Non-excess
e. Aparigraha: Non-possessiveness
9. Or practice one of the Niyamas which leads to purified thinking and eventually a purified mind;
a. Saucha: Purity
b. Santosha: Contentment
c. Tapas: Self-discipline
d. Svadhyaya: Self-study
e. Ishvara Pranidhara: Surrender
10. Cultivating positive aspects of mind through such practices as the Four Right Attitudes;
These are the brahma-viharas:
i. Friendliness toward the happy.
ii. Compassion for the unhappy.
iii. Delight in the virtuous.
iv. Indifference toward the wicked.
11. Pleasant-mindedness - chitta-prasadana - clarity and purification of mind, making the mind pleasant and clear.
12. Make lifestyle changes so to honor the natural environment – reducing clutter, consuming less, planting trees, and simplifying your way of living.
13. Making healthier choices in one’s daily schedule in terms of diet and nutrition; (Abstaining from some particular kind of foods or abstaining from some particular drinks/controlling your appetite)
14. Improve your sleep and exercise habits.
15. Refining one’s personal relationships with family, friends and co-workers. (Here is one I remember which Guruji told me in 1997. You work with someone you do not like. Say one good thing about that person every day – you’ll see the change it will make in you)
Some other thoughts and ideas.
1. Do your prayers daily
2. Do the Sandhya daily!
3. Doing daily meditation!
4. Doing the short Havan daily!
5. Expanding some other aspect of one’s daily yoga practice with subtle relaxations or
6. Practice pranayama - Perform breathing exercises to influence your health in positive ways.
7. Studying an inspiring book and applying a principle or practice in it.
8. Commit to reading from the Bhagavat Gita daily.
9. Learning one new Vedic Mantra each week and recite that Mantra daily during that week.
10. Decide to raise your level of exercise and begin walking a few miles every day. Start a workout/exercise routine – exercise 10 minutes a day. We can help you develop an exercise program!